Progress from the apple trees…
Before we could get everything protected, the deer returned and stripped most of the leaves from the blackcurrant bushes. At least now everything is protected.
The laburnum buds have been showing buds for quite a while, but only now have fully broken into flower.
The whitebeam buds have been visible for a while, but only now have finally broken into leaf. It was worth the wait…
Spring continues apace… I love how at this time there is something fresh and new every week!
Finally time to plant the whitebeam and fruit trees.
We ordered the following:-
- 5 whitebeam – Sorbus aria ‘Lutescens’
- 4 apples
- early windsor (early)
- red devil (mid)
- rozette (mid)
- chivers delight (late)
- 1 plum – Warwicksire drooper
- 1 damson – merryweather
on rowan root stock
All fruit trees were ordered on semi-dwarf rootstock (M26 for apples) which, given our rather poor soil, should translate to trees which are dwarf.
When we got the trees, we didn’t end up with quite what we ordered. The plum tree was missing, so we have re-ordered for next year. The Red devil was on M25 root stock (very vigorous!), but our supplier assured us that it’s equivalent to M26 for this variety. Time will tell…
Enough with the detail, on to the planting.
The trees were positioned mostly according to plan, but somewhere between plan and reality we lost about 1 meter where the back fruit trees should go, so we’ve opted for just one in that space.