Since our pond is only a temporary one, we donated most of the frogspawn to a neighbour with a new pond. However, we left a bit behind, and the first tadpoles have hatched.
They are so small (less than 1cm long) that it’s rather hard to get a good picture…
As the digger removed the old pond, we found 15 frogs, no doubt somewhat upset by all the noise and destruction of their habitat. We took them to a nearby pond. This weekend, I found 7 more frogs in a pile of stones near where the pond was. Now that we have a new (if smaller) pond, they were delivered direct to their new home.
With the garden properly plumbed, we were able to set up a small pond behind the garage. We’ll probably do something more permanent for next year, but for now the frogs and other wildlife should be happy with this one.
Pond in progress
The new pond